Thursday, August 5, 2010

You want me to do what now?

As the run for Lion goes on, I feel more and more comfortable with my various scene changes and cues and such and am focusing more and more on La Ronde. Holy crap that play. We had our first full run of the show last Sunday, and that was the first time I'd seen most of it. The way the play is structured -- two person scenes -- means there's no reason to call most of us for each rehearsal. Kirsten assuaged our fears by calling it a "train wreck run", just to see exactly where we were. I was pleasantly surprised. It's going to be a great show, and that was before we'd choreographed any of the sex.

The transitions between scenes are all going to be done to period appropriate music, for example, the transition into my scene with the Count will be an aria from an opera of the time: Die Fledermaus. But all the sex music is modern. Here's my song with the poet:



The Actress is turning out to be a sort of Victorian Betty Page, complete with garter belt and riding crop holster. My dad will probably have to avert his eyes for most of the scene. I don't wear much.

My scene with the Count is a little more subtle. Working out the power struggle and cat vs. other cat game has been a lot of fun, and we're getting into that really fun place where we have our characters down and we just get to play around and find all the little mini-beats and shifts that happen within the scene. Buckets of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment