Friday, July 2, 2010

One Down...

Monday was everyone's day off. Sorry, I mean

~*~DAY OFF~*~

I hadn't realized until yesterday, but I will have a total of nine days off this summer. I rehearse and have classes from nine AM to around eight PM every day of the week except Mondays, which everyone has to themselves. We went to the beach, and saw some dolphins and went to the local theater dive bar (the Rush Inn, which I misheard the first twelve times as the "Russian" and thought it was some sort of Love's Labor's theme thing) which is pretty divey. I was not a huge fan until I found out they have good beer on tap. Now I am a fan.


I had my costume fitting the other day, which was cool. In the program, we (the interns) are going to be credited as Soldiers and Servants, but in rehearsals we are affectionately referred to as Goons and Matrons. Matrons are wearing big ol' shitkicker boots, with a black shift and long belted tunic thing. Goons get swords. No swords for Matrons.

We did our first stumble-through of Act 1 yesterday, and it's looking really good. This is going to be a great show.

Woah, okay just read through all that again and realized how tired I sound. I ran into Jeff in the hall the other day and we hugged and said hello and he took another look at me and said, "Wow, your brain looks tired." Yes. That. I'm gonna need to start scheduling wind down time if I'm gonna make it through this summer alive.

My brain may also have looked tired because we'd just gotten out of acting. I'm loving Kirsten as a teacher and as a director so far, but one thing's for sure: she's big on the physical work. I am going to be so buff by the end of the summer, it is not even funny. We're doing a lot of viewpoints, biomechanics and Suzuki. I've never really done any of these things before, except for some biomechanics Jeff snuck into movement classes on the sly, but I'm really enjoying it all. Especially the Suzuki.

The way Kirsten breaks it down is that biomechanics is about keeping your muscles engaged and figuring out what your body can do: you jump really high and land without making any sound; you jump onto a partner without hurting them or holding on too tight, it's all very controlled and light. But Suzuki is about being solid and connected through your feet, planted to the earth. It's a brutal work-out, but I really enjoy it.

Okay, I'm gonna take a nap to rest my brain, then it's back to being a Matron. See you on the other side.

No comments:

Post a Comment